Sunday, June 30, 2013

Juba

So, this is our last night in Juba.  We leave tomorrow morning, early.  Fly to Aweil and then drive 2 or 3 hours to Nyinbuli.  I am not looking forward to the flight, but the drive sounds kind of fun.  (edit: it was not)

I will be very glad to get out of Juba.  The air here is hard to breath.  There is no electricity in this large city so generators run constantly.  Also people are using natural gas and charcoal and wood fires.  When the wind dies the smell is awful.  At night there is a constant dull ache behind the eyes.  It has got to be just terrible for the lungs.

It rained on and off and there was a lovely breeze today.  I am glad that our last day here was so pleasant.  Right now I am standing on the front porch with the computer propped up on the railing.  It is the only place we have internet on the property.  We could go down to the office for a better signal, but it is dangerous to walk the streets at night.

I hope to be able to post some pictures tomorrow or Tuesday.  We will have better access to internet in Nyinbuli than we have had in the city (go figure).  And perhaps I will be able to give a more thoughtful blog post instead of these random updates.  Anyway, there is so much to tell and not enough time to tell it.  The pictures will help, so I look forward to that.

I am so thankful to be here in this tough place so that I can bring it to all of you in a more personal way.  There is much need here.  So much.  I can't understand how we have been so blind and so self-involved.

I don't remember a "rainy-day" fund being part of Jesus' ministry.  Invest that "emergency" money in an actual emergency.  God will take care of you and yours; He has called on you to take care of the least, the lost, and the lonely.  They are out there.  And they need what you have...  Not iPods or television or frozen yogurt, but clean water, a dependable police force, health care of any kind, road maintenance and trash pick up, and Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!

If you can't come yourself then find a way to give.  If you can't give money or time to mission (local counts), then get on your knees and weep and pray for these people.  Stand in the gap for them.  Be their prayer warrior.  You are literally filled with the Holy Creator of the Universe.  You have power.  PRAY!  Pray without ceasing. Pray with passion.  Pray with fervor.  Pray.

Father God, thank You for this incredible opportunity.  Help me to be what You have called me to be.  Thank You for the amazing prayer warriors You have put into my life.  I can feel their love and support.  Thank You for answered prayer.  I love You, Lord, and I pray that my heart would pour out praise to You for as long as I live.  Amen.


5 comments:

  1. Amen!
    Lilly - I am seeing the WOMAN that God made you :) SO proud of you, and so excited for you... there aren't sufficient words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and hugs to you, Lilly. With you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the updates. They are very informative. May we give thanks to God for the freedom we have in America. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 9 a.m. here... 4 p.m. there... I'm wondering where you are and how the travel is going... Did you sleep last night?

    Mom.

    ReplyDelete