Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ready or not...

Here we go.  In about four hours, Holly and I are boarding a plane and beginning our journey to Nyinbuli.  Today we will fly to Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC and tomorrow we will fly to Ethiopia.

I have never spent more than 3 hours in an airplane.  Even when I've flown to California or Washington state there were multiple plane changes.  This flight will be 14 hours straight.  I am kind of dreading it.  I'm not a small person but I'm going to be stuffed into a seat meant for one.  And I won't be able to avoid airplane toilet.  Ugh!  But ultimately this will all be worth it, because when the plane lands Holly and I will be in Africa.  Can you imagine?  I can't.  And I won't have to, because I'll be there.  From Ethiopia we will fly to Juba, South Sudan and we'll hang out there for a few days.  And from there we will fly to Nyinbuli via a UN flight.  (edit: flew to Aweil via Kush Air and then drove to Nyinbuli)

So those are the facts.... And here's another.  I'm terrified.  Like really, really scared.  It makes me feel silly and foolish to be this frightened.  I'm not ready for this.  I'm not ready to say goodbye to my family and to my friends and to my cats.  I'm not ready to say goodbye to my comfortable life.  I think I will miss my A/C and plumbing almost as much as I will miss my people.  So, I'm afraid, but I'm going to do it anyway.  There is more to life than what I know and what I see.  I refuse to run from this incredible opportunity.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1: 7 NLT 

Fear is not from God.  It is found in my own weak flesh and encouraged by an enemy that wants me immobilized.  I will not allow this fear to keep me from doing the things that God has set before me to accomplish.  I will instead rely on the power, love, and self-discipline (or sound mind) the Spirit of the Lord has given to me.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me this opportunity to be a blessing and to be blessed.  I pray I would be Your obedient daughter and that You would be glorified in all I do.
Please be with my friends and family as they pray for me and Holly.  And please bring us safely back home so we can share these experiences with them.  Above all, I pray Your Will would be done.
I pray this in the name of Jesus.  Amen.

Gotta wrap up.  Time to go!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder where you are at this moment.... The sun is just peeking up over the horizon here, but found you hours ago.... I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this "So, I'm afraid, but I'm going to do it anyway. " It reminded me off Luke 22:42 Jesus prayed saying, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but ALWAYS, Yours be done."


    ReplyDelete